时间: 2月前 人气: 2 评论: 0
bum / bʌm / noun (informal)
1. (BrE) the part of the body that you sit on
SYN backside , behind , bottom
2. (especially NAmE) a person who has no home or job and who asks other people for money or food
a beach bum (= sb who spends all their time on the beach, without having a job)
3. a lazy person who does nothing for other people or for society
He's nothing but a no-good bum!
▪ bums on 'seats
(BrE, informal) used to refer to the number of people who attend a show, talk, etc., especially when emphasizing the need or desire to attract a large number
They're not bothered about attracting the right audience—they just want bums on seats.
▪ give sb / get the ˌbum's 'rush (informal, especially NAmE) to force sb / be forced to leave a place quickly
He was soon given the bum's rush from the club.
他很快从俱乐部里被撵了出来。 verb (-mm-) [VN]
1. ~ sth (off sb) (informal) to get sth from sb by asking
SYN cadge :
Can I bum a cigarette off you?
2. ~ sb (out) (NAmE, informal) to make sb feel upset or disappointed
▪ ˌbum a'round / a'bout (informal)
to travel around or spend your time with no particular plans
He bummed around the world for a year.
他在世界各地浪游了一年。 adjective [only before noun]
(informal) of bad quality; wrong or useless
He didn't play six bum note.
a bum deal (= a situation where you do not get what you deserve or have paid for)
bum¹ / bʌm ; bʌm /
◙noun [C] [informal]
1. [BrE] the part of your body that you sit on
2. [AmE] someone, especially a man, who has no home or job, and who asks people for money
3. beach / ski etc bum, someone who spends all their time on the beach, SKIING etc without having a job
4. someone who is very lazy
5. get / put bums on seats, [BrE informal] to make a large number of people go to see a film, play, sports match etc
»She's the kind of star who will put bums on seats.
◙verb bummed, bumming [T] [BrE informal]
1. to ask someone for something such as money, food, or cigarettes
»She bummed a little cash off me.
◘bum around [informal]
1. also bum about to spend time lazily doing nothing
2. bum around sth, to travel around, living very cheaply, without having any plans
»He spent a year bumming around Australia.
◙adj [only before noun] [informal]
1. bad and useless
»The orchestra was excellent. No one played a bum note.
»Jim got a bum deal (=unfair treatment) .
2. a bum ankle / leg etc, [AmE] an injured ANKLE , leg etc
1.■ person’s bottom 屁股
[搭配]VERB + BUM
摸屁股；捏屁股:A man pinched her bum on the train so she hit him. 在火车上有人捏她屁股，她打了那人。
坐:They’ve been sitting on their bums all day, doing nothing. 他们一整天就那么坐着，什么事都没做。
2.■ lazy/useless person 懒人；无用的人
喜欢在海滩鬼混的人:He dropped out of college and became a beach bum. 他从大学退学，整天在海滩闲逛。